English as an International language: implications for classroom practice
Reflective practice in EFL teaching and Practical ideas and resources to teach English from a critical perspective.
40 hours (4 weeks)
MODALITY: 100% online (Asynchronous course)
WHO IS IT DIRECTED AT?: Primary and Secondary teachers (although it is primarily directed at English teachers, you can also learn a lot about English teaching approaches as a generalist teacher or as a teacher who wants to work on his/her English through Education-related topics)
METHODOLOGY: interactive and dynamic
What does it mean to be a multicompetent speaker? What is the difference between “English speaker” and “English user”? Why does that matter? Do you use textbooks in your EFL class? Do they include anglophone cultural aspects and features?
The identity approach to the learning and teaching of English has led many teachers around the world to reflect on personal teaching practices. Linguistic and cultural identities matter. Thus, if teachers address these aspects in the EFL classroom, they can help EFL learners to acquire more realistic and empowered views on themselves as English users who use this communication tool for multiple personal and professional purposes.
This course is aimed at promoting teaching practices that empower our students to become English users rather than English speakers. We are going to acquire a critical view towards the learning and teaching of English so that we can promote an empowering perspective on the learning and use of this international language in our EFL classrooms. We are going to reflect on what it means to teach English from a critical perspective, we will read, we will share, we will watch inspiring discussions with the leading experts in this field and we will provide many tools and practical ideas to implement critical pedagogy in the English classroom.
This course is aimed at English teachers and also educators who want to delve into the notion of English as an International Language. Most importantly, the course focuses on how understanding the role of English in today’s globalised world can lead to more realistic and positive teaching practices and thus, can lead to more motivated students.
Eduk's virtual campus offers 24-hour access every day of the week. This way, you can decide when to work on the course content.
This course becomes a personalized learning environment allowing you to delve into your interests, experiences, and classroom projects.
INTERACTIVE AND DYNAMIC METHODOLOGY
The learning packages in this course are based on Storytelling. They include infographics, forums, readings, quizzes, shared reflections, and videos.
At the end of the course, each teacher will design a pedagogical proposal based on their interests and needs, where everything addressed throughout the course is synthesized and applied.
Dra. Berta Torras Vila
Mestra d’anglès i de música. Professora en el grau universitari Llengua Anglesa i Educació. Formadora de CLIL Music
Em considero formadora de formadors i eterna aprenent. Crec fermament en les poderoses capacitats que els educadors tenim per obrir portes, per inspirar i per encendre la curiositat i el desig d'aprendre dels nostres estudiants.
Exerceixo de professora de Llengua Anglesa i Didàctica de l'Anglès dins de graus universitaris a diferents universitats, i sóc formadora en CLIL Music i Pedagogia crítica de l'anglès. Sóc, també, mestra d’anglès i de música. Em considero una apassionada per l'educació en el sentit més transversal de la paraula i crec fermament que la llengua anglesa pot tenir un paper transformador i empoderador en el procés educatiu i de desenvolupament personal de les futures generacions.
Mòdul 1_ Reflection on personal practice in the EFL classroom
- To reflect on personal practice in the EFL classroom as teachers
- Self-reflection on personal practice in the EFL classroom.
Mòdul 2_ Towards a critical pedagogy of English: the notion of EIL.
- To introduce the notion of EIL (English as an International language)
- To introduce the notion of “multicompetent speaker”
- To differentiate between the notions of “English speaker” and “English user”.
- To become aware of what it means to teach English from a critical perspective.
- To acquire an empowering perspective on the learning of English that boosts learners’ motivation.
- The notion of English as an International Language.
- The notion of “Multicompetent speaker”.
- The difference between “English speaker” and “English user”.
- Critical EFL praxis.
Mòdul 3_ Practical implications and ideas in the EFL classroom
- To learn about teaching strategies and tools that promote critical praxis in the EFL classroom.
- To reflect on EFL teaching approaches that include an identity approach to the learning of English.
- Teaching strategies that empower English learners.
- Practical ideas and resources to promote positive and realistic EFL learning contexts.
Mòdul 4_ Project implementation or Final reflection
- To design a final project or to reflect on a critical approach to the learning of English.
- Design of a final project or reflection that includes a critical approach to the learning of English.
Actualment no hi ha programada cap edició per aquest curs.
Si tens qualsevol dubte o suggerència, pots posar-te en contacte amb nosaltres mitjançant el nostre formulari de contacte:Contactar